Saturday, March 13, 2010

15 - Hoover Dam and the Death of Santa Claus


A great big engineering project involving hardrock tunnels and massive dynamos and countless tons of concrete and falling water?  Naah, why would I be interested in that?


I took one hundred ninety six pictures.  Some of them are bitchin'.


Some are moments unique to this time. The new bridge opens later this year.  The drive will be much faster and less interesting.


When it does, the arrangement with Homeland Security will no longer be needed.


One presumes.

The countryside beyond was unparalleled in its desolation and beauty.  Words would fail.


In the midst of this, behind a fallen run of rusted barbed wire, Santa Claus lived briefly, and died.

4 comments:

  1. the santa place looks like it was neato in its day. i went to the damn back in 94 when they still let you go down in the damn elevator.

    like the endless road pic best.. happy trails :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the midst of this, behind a fallen run of rusted barbed wire, Santa Claus lived briefly, and died.

    I was dismayed to see the squalid conditions of the elves quarters, and the incontrovertible photographic evidence of their aborted attempt to tunnel out. A dark chapter of mythological character history indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some people are critical of the thankless heroes who brought an end to this travesty, for their acts started the discussions that ultimately handed the concession to Wal-Mart. But some practices simply have no place in the modern world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We passed unharassed through countless security check points all through Mexico and the Yucatan in our commando jeep. It was almost disappointing as it doesn't make for much of a story. The only place we were stopped and searched was before going over Hoover Dam. Wealth and paranoia are entwined afflictions although, I must admit, I am willing, for the general good, to shoulder a small degree of the burden.

    ReplyDelete