Sunday, April 11, 2010

44 - Big Easy Sunday

I love the simple Victorian-era homes with their never-ending variety in porch brackets.


Business front, Garden District style.


Anne Rice owned this house for awhile. Imagine the gas lamps lit and the doors overflowing with young Louisianan goth wannabes. This shows maybe a quarter of the building. Oh, to be a successful (and rich) novelist.


Anyone want to buy a convent? It's for sale ...


... on a street lined with some of the most beautiful oak trees on the planet ...


... a short walk from the oldest continuously operated street railway line in the world.


Somewhere near, there is also beer.


And pizza. Alligator and andouille sausage, in this case. Yes, it was delightful.

11 comments:

  1. God, I'm loving this! Keep it coming. That convent building must be so haunted. Spill a dram on Marie Laveau's tomb for me, would you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking, yeah, if I did win the lottery, I might have to put this place on the list of places I would set up housekeeping.

    Uh . . . are you going to eat all that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ate it so fast I didn't have time for a second beer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I fled New York in March of 2001, I considered New Orleans as a landing place. Somehow ended up in Breckenridge, CO, instead. I think it was the humidity and casual racism that ended up deterring me. Plus, I would have probably ended up in more trouble in NO than I could get into in wholesome Colorado, or a sad old souse like Tennessee Williams, but without the talent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree about keeping it coming but really I came to this post from my rss feeder just to beg and plead that you share that pizza with me, though it looks like Roy got here first. Dammit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find it disturbing that Don would eat 'gator. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's just meat. Lizard meat. Big lizard meat. Sorta like lamb, taste-wise. But all ground up. Brother says raw alligator steaks are so tough they fight back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They oughta. Poor little dears.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool. Anne Rice. Gators. Yeah!

    -pl

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gekko? Poor little dears? Have you SEEN these prehistoric horrors? Hibernation will soon end, and the zoo's gators will be VERY hungry. You come on down and watch the feedings. Watch an 8 foot gator launch himself straight up six feet out of the water to snatch food off a stick. A stick held by a keeper who is right IN there with the beasts, no barriers between him and the gators.

    Come watch. You'll never think of them as helpless little dears again. Which is good, as they're a hell of a lot more fun as they are.

    ReplyDelete