Thursday, April 15, 2010

48 - Vacation's Over, Next?

The past week has been a life of sitting around up late, sleeping in, and wandering off about town. That pretty much covers it. I guess that makes it a vacation. After today, no more of that.

If I'm to post today, it has to be now, at the airport, in the next few minutes, so I'm just going to say I'm not a big fan of Robert E. Lee. One of the greatest military minds of all time, sure, and a member of the same extended clan of noble Virginians that produced George Washington, but so what? Even though he found slavery "distasteful", ultimately he lent his efforts and the lives of countless men in the service of prolonging the institution of slavery. I know there's a lot more to it than that, and I know enough to be able to argue his side. But at the end of the day, he's just not one of my heroes.

Of course, Southerners have deified the man. Lee Circle is quite the monument. But I'm not a Southerner. Sue me.

2 comments:

  1. Ole Marse Rob...

    I'll miss your vacation posts...oh so entertaining and a welcome diversion during the day.

    If you ever come to New York, will you give us the same treatment? I'd love to see a post entitled "Nap Time at the Port Authority Bus Terminal."

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Colonel Pat said, the South needs the iron boot of the north on its neck. It needed it then, and it needs it now.

    ReplyDelete